  • Subject: Re: Certification
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 01:26:30 -0700

Steve,

You bring up very good points on currency.  I believe that certification would
at
least show competency by subject, at a point in time, and I would not be opposed
to a periodic competency testing in any profession on basic principles.

As usual, the devil is in the details.

What is the talent being tested? Is there a policing agency that can monitor
compliance? What is the yard stick used to measure by?

Since corolations have been popular in this thread, I'll bring up a conversation
I had with the president of a trucking company a few years back. The topic was
user education.  His viewpoint was: they already know their job, they don't need
education (the implied part is that he's so good he doesn't hire uneducated
people).  My retort was: I drive a stick, let me long haul one of your 18
wheelers cross country.  The nasty look I got <G>!  After a loooong 5 second
pause, I said: Isn't that what you are asking them to do? Get behind of a 250K
rig and drive it without proper training?  Now the point is: what does a class
"C" license imply (or certification).  I've been trained on a commercial
vehicle.  Am I a good driver? Well, I'm not so bad that it's been suspended.

OK, so today I cram for some certification and there is no governing body to
notice that I've violated so many rules that my license should be suspended.
But
I hang it on the wall to show that I'm a "qualified" professional.  Like there
is
any governing authority to "revoke" it?

Certs shmerts.  Referrals and testimonials are the name of the game in this and
just about any other profession.  The plaques on the wall are to get business
with those that picked your name out of the phone book or to get you past a
recruiter that only has the authority to say no.

Having said that, (another boring story) I was giving a demo at an IBM center to
a company which manufactured mattress' and I asked permission to jointly
demonstrate to a company that built motels.  Their original needs assessment was
similar (PR AP GL) and I requested to share the demonstration.  Both parties
agreed to the arrangement.  After I got into it, I excused myself from the room
to let the two talk.  Well, three things happened: 1) They did business with
each
other. 2) I got both contracts.  3) One of the two noticed that I left my
briefcase in the room and took my client list and called EVERY one of them.

Upon confession of his dirty deed, I rearranged my list so that his name would
appear first and therefore would receive the most calls!  (They start from the
top) My advice to any and all clients has been to be honest.  How would they
feel
if someone "shined " them on and got into a nonfruitful relationship?  I'd
rather
live off the word of my clients than the recommendation of any local marketing
rep or certification program.

I won't even get started on the local reps and the request for kick backs, but a
while back I read something that pointed out a losers strategy.  These included
degrees/certifications obtained and years of service.   Neither prove currency
nor competency but are used as a defense when solutions are questioned.

IMHO, the purpose of certification/degrees is to provide the decision maker an
excusable justification for their decision and can therefore be held harmless,
saving their position/pension. In the fast track world we live in, those that
choose to do business with us do not have the luxury of time to actually get to
know us before making a decision.  There is a need for a litmus test for
exclusion to shorten the list for further consideration.  Again, the devil is in
the details.

Sorry to go on for so long, but I've considered challenging the courses for an
MBA and upon reflection realized that obtaining one would only serve as a key to
enter a room of strangers.  Even the Harvard Business Review ran articles that
show that there is one thing you (and anyone else) can be sure of when you
obtain
your degree: you have a degree.  The implied: you'll do what it takes to reach a
goal. By hook or crook. That's not in the equation.  But maybe that is what the
test is really designed for.

James W. Kilgore
qappdsn@ibm.net

Steve Glanstein wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Needed to add my two cents on certification.
>
> All certification means is that an individual met certain test requirements
> on a specific date and time. It says nothing for that individual's skills
> following the test or even prior to the test.
>
> Several issues must be addressed. The issue of licensure needs to be
> addressed separately from the issues of currency and competency.

<<snip>>