  • Subject: Re: Storing dates - revisted...
  • From: "Kathleen Kostuck" <kkostuck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:44:19 -0500

Hi Chuck,

First of all I want to disclose that I do not have any Y2K projects under
my belt, as I have been moderately successful at avoiding them, and also
any design work I've done in the past 10 years has been Y2K compliant. But,
here goes with some advice, and please forgive any wrong assumptions I may
be making... :^)

Since this is September of 1998, forget about new development until you get
your Y2K project done.  I don't know how large your project is or what kind
of resources you have, but since the project is more likely to grow than to
shrink, and resources vice versa, you need to focus.

If your package uses 2,0 centuries, the easiest method would be to add 2,0
century fields to the end of your other record formats.  Do not attempt to
change your existing date fields, either to lengthen them or to change to
the date data type. If you change them, you will have just sentenced
yourself to the 'Big Bang' method of date remediation. You will not be able
to break the project into manageable chunks, you will not be able to
prioritize programs or systems, you will be forced to replace every
(non-pkg) production object on your system all in one shot.

I'd like to tell you to change everything to the date data type, but I
won't be there to help you when your order entry or forecasting breaks
down, and you can't fix it because commission isn't done yet.

IMHO forget about what you'd ideally like to do and just get it done.

Now I'm going to put on my flame retardant suit and duck and run...

Kathleen Kostuck
pager (414) 402-0820       fax (414) 495-4986
kkostuck@execpc.com
AS400 Solutions
Secretary - Wisconsin Midrange Computer Professionals Association

MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com.