     1. Create DDS for replacement file, make sure field begin/end
     positions match your pgm described record layout. Pad blank fields
     as necessary. Add your new date field to the end of the new record.
     2. Rename old file.
     3. Create new file.
     4. CPFY old new FMTOPT(*NOCHK)

     The upside: programs that don't use the date probably won't need to
     be changed at all. No recompiling required there. Modify programs
     that use the datefld to use the external defs.

     Downside: this could get REALLY confusing until all programs are
     converted to using external defs. This won't work at all if you use
     COPYFILE to maintain the files. Whenever you'd do the COPYFILE,
     DELETE, RENAME , you'd end up without ext defs.

     There's lots of gotchas in here. I'm sure I don't remember very
     many of them. For one, you might need to create your file w/
     LVLCHK(*NO). Also, I'm not sure if the record format name needs to
     be the same as your file name. If it's a keyed file, do the key
     field names need to be K00001? I'm not sure....

     I know that you can make this scenario work. I've done it before.
     It's just been too many years/margaritas since I figured it out..

     hth
     eric.delong@pmsi-services.com