  • Subject: RE: Thin Clients and the AS/400
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:52:32 -0500

Webulator is not bad but if you are viewing it from a 5250
terminal/Rumba/PC5250 perspective I think you will be
disappointed.....nothing against Webulator but it is the functional
differences between a browser and terminal emulation.

However, with the network stations you may use the browser to access Notes
(you may want to check if there are some gotchas- I seem to remember issues
with calenders) and use the Telnet client to access AS/400 screens.  I know
this doesn't solve your question of one interface but you can do it with
one device relatively simply.  The TN5250 that comes with the network
computer is fairly nice and falls somewhere between a terminal and PC5250.

FYI - JDE recently (June 98) gave an endorsement of the series 1000.....you
can find more out at
http://www.pc.ibm.com/networkstation/news/seagull.html.

Andrew Reed <areed@magsoft.com> on 09/22/98 02:18:55 PM

Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com