  • Subject: Re: Win a SAAB at COMMON !
  • From: "Larry D. Bolhuis" <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 19:59:13 -0400

   Well I haven't been at this as long as Charlie but when I first attended in
1988 I remember lots of VOLUNTEERS.  The organization WAS the MEMBERS.  My boss
encouraged EVERY ATTENDEE from our company to VOLUNTEER.   I personally have two
'For the COMMON Good' pins.  For what? VOLUNTEERING, when NOBODY SHOWED UP to
lead
sessions, we just did a BOF, great-no but better than nothing.  I was proud to
get
them.  Now I see in the Green Streek every COMMON 'x nominates y and y nominates
x'  for a Pin(same people every time too). I guess those pins aren't worth what
thought.
I remember CUDS was huge too, and a buffet on the final night for those who
stayed
- What happened to that?, I even remember big screen TV for some sports events..

   Now it seems everybody is paid, Paid staff, Paid session managers. Profit
seems
to be king.  Gotta make money!  For WHAT!?  COMMON is for the MEMBERS, NOT the
STAFF.  It seems that all the complaints that I have heard are from members
(which
INCLUDES many speakers such as Charlie) that services are reduced, prices are
higher, sessions fewer, etc etc.

  I say if the current Staff is not doing what we want, we replace them!  After
all its our group isn't it?

  As for the Car, it's a bit over the top.  What's the point? What's the
message?
Is a booth at COMMON worth that much to the advertiser?

  And Charlie, don't give up.  I don't believe that't the answer.  I have never
believed or will I ever subscribe to punishing the many for the misdeeds of the
few.  Again, if we believe the current board is out of touch, then toss em out
of
office!

  Larry Bolhuis
  Vice President