  • Subject: Re: Availability/reliability
  • From: Joseph Wechsler <ywexler@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 12:45:39 +0200

mcrump@ballfoster.com wrote:

> I have an RFP for a computer system where we have included an item
> regarding system availability.  We are asking vendors to supply a third
> party supplied availablity number that must exceed 99.5%.  My problem is
> that I have not come across a number reported by an outside firm such as
> Gartner, Yankee, Reliability Ratings, etc.
>
> On the AS/400 site the 99.97% number is supplied by IBM.  While I believe
> this number from IBM (because we have historically exceeded it) I want this
> number to be supplied by a third party because I believe it to have more
> credibility.  The systems we are looking at are of course AS/400 and
> Windows NT.
>
> Question is, does anyone know if these kind of numbers are supplied by
> someone like Gartner, Reliability Ratings, etc.?  I have not come across
> anything while searching the web.......
>
> Michael Crump
> Technical Project Leader
> Ball-Foster Glass Container Corp.

I'm not sure the firms you mentioned have the numbers you look after and
if they publish such numbers they are correct and how were calculated.
In general AS/400 is known as the most reliable machine.
We work with AS/400 from its debut and before we used S/38.
Now we are a the largest AS/400 shop in Israel and our experiance is the
mean down time of any of our AS/400 is no more than 1 - 2 days per year
and part of the failures are caused by a human mistake.
If reliability and availability are very important for your org. the
only machine you have to consider is AS/400.
There are also othe qualities you have to consider like AS/400 is one of
the most friendly computers or the strng security system of OS/400, etc.
J. Wechsler