  • Subject: Re: Why are object names limited to 10 chars long?
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:36:45 -0500

Most operations just work on the 10 character long table names.  However the
following SQL statement will
 work on DB2/400:
CREATE TABLE ROB/THISISONEHONKINGBIGTABLE
     (THISISABIGFIELD FOR COLUMN NAMEAS10 CHAR (25) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT)

This creates a file that gets an alternative name assigned to it via the system
cross reference files.  It will have a
 different name when you do a WRKOBJ.  Also notice your field names can have
two different names.
This is similar to the DDS keyword ALIAS.  Useful for mixed language
environments such as RPG and ILE RPG.
I had a friend in the consulting business that set up a PC application to
update files on his 400.  Had the whole
thing written when the AS/400 weenie made him change all the field names
because he refused to learn new
things like ILE RPG, the ALIAS DDS keyword, SQL/400

ravi@spacestar.com on 09/09/98 10:15:00 AM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet