  • Subject: Re: AS/400 RPG Certification Test
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:49:18 -0400

Hi

Since we were discussing RPG Certification and what it's worth.
I thought I'd share what some people in the industry think of the RPG
Language,  (and BTW They are posting this to a public forum and
swaying LOTS of people) I guess for some people in the industry
certification is a moot point.  It's no sense arguing the RPG topic
outside the AS/400 industry though.

(Take a look at this forum.   It has a couple of neat threads on the AS/400)

John (Been coding RPG 18 yrs) Carr
EdgeTech

http://forums.infoworld.com/threads/get.cgi?72107

Agree except for RPG :-)

     Posted by: dgood
     Date posted: Mon Sep 7 8:51:25 PDT 1998

     Your main point, as it relates to Cobol and the AS/400, is well taken.
But, IMO, it is incorrect
     to include RPG as just another misunderstood language. RPG was so ugly
that reading it
     probably caused irreversible brain damage.

     "I think that COBOL and RPG are neck and neck for the most lines of code
running in
     production business applications in the world today."

     May have been true in the late 80s, because of the wide spread use of
System 36/38. And
     probably still is true for Cobol - as Cobol is still widely used for new
development and
     maintenance. But it defies both experience and credulity to suggest that
in 1998, RPG is
     widely used - legacy or otherwise. All evidence suggests that RPG has been
on a fast track to
     a well deserved extinction. :-)

     Cheers
     Doug

(Oh ya, this one's there also;)

  13 AS/400 - Industry/Journalistic Anomaly ?

     Posted by: JPCARR
     Date posted: Mon Sep 7 7:04:15 PDT 1998

     I have visited these forums and the "Opinions" site and the Test Center
site for good while
     now. I have see numerous forums dedicated to Windows 95/98, Windows NT,
Unix(all
     flavors), Linux, and Open Source Software.

     I have yet to see any discussion concerning the AS/400 other than the
issues I or a few others
     have raised.

<<SNIP>>