  • Subject: Re: AS/400 RPG Certification - Biz Partners...
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 14:43:45 EDT

Don,

> Frankly, when it comes to business partners, I'ld rather have their
>  product/software package certified as being correct and running as
>  advertised.   I'm seeing just tooooooooo many "business partners" who's
>  package is buggy from the first install tape....  What I'ld like to see if
>  a certification from IBM that they've loaded Package X, rls 1.1.43 and it
>  loads, installs, runs as advertised sans glaring stupid errors...like
>  missing programs, usrprf's, files not creating, etc....  THAT's the kind
>  of certification that would do me some good!

AMEN to _THAT, Brother Don!!!  Certainly an idea whose time is _WAY_ past due.

>  Certifying that a BP knows how to use the configurator and sell sell sell
>  doesn't do me as much good as knowing that they KNOW THEIR PRODUCT and
>  more that their product ACTUALLY WORKS.

Sounds like many salesmen that I had to clean up behind in "the old days" ;-).
At one job, our user group actually gave one of our salesman a "We Can Do
That" award plaque during a bi-annual meeting.  At another job, I had finished
setting up the hardware, software, and doing the training.  Just as I was
about to leave, the owner held out his checkbook to me and said "Here".  When
I explained that he didn't owe us any money, as the lease paid for everything,
he said "No!  Show me how to hold this up to the screen and have it
automatically balance, like salesman X said it would."!!!  Extremely
embarrasing to have to explain that, while I had pulled a _LOT_ of salesman
fat out of the fire over the years, even _I_ could not make a CRT read a
checkbook!

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"A study of economics usually reveals that the best time to buy anything is
last year." -- Marty Allen