  • Subject: Re: AS/400 RPG Certification Test
  • From: Richard Baird <rbbaird@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 11:46:35 -0500

Rob Berendt wrote:

>There is some arguement for knowing some of this stuff instead of just
>>looking it up.  Many of use read the new manuals
>right away.  Jumping to the sections 'what is new for this release'.  It's
>>when I have to show someone with a few years
>experience in RPG what the SETLL operation code is that I think >certification
>would provide a higher level of confidence
>in the programmer.  Does the RPG certification require renewal like the CCP
>>does, (unless you were grandfathered)?  I work with some sharp people but
>>there is always someone that would not do something new if you pointed a gun
>>to their head.

I know what you mean.  That's why we try to have a staff tech meeting
once a month or so, where everyone shares new techniques they've
learned and discuss topics that interests them.  We've also had a few
training sessions on RPGIV.

>I am starting to do all my new stuff in ILERPG but have yet to figure out >how
>to do a procedure.  God knows I want to.
>Purchased the ATS courses but they stop short of procedures.  I mention this
>>for two reasons.  One, maybe the RPG
>certification is the challenge I need to get up to snuff.  Two, any
>>recomendations as to how to learn procedures, activation
>groups and what not?  The new op codes, eval, record layouts, 'D' specs, etc
>>were pretty simple to figure out.

If learning procedures are your goal, skip the cert.  Nothing on
procedures, only a couple questions on ILE concepts.

I've been working with RPGIV exclusively for a year or so, and I
haven't written a procedure yet.  Done a little with multi-module
programs, but I'm pretty sure I still don't know the best way to do
things.  It's more a matter of a lack time than will.

Rick