  • Subject: Re: OLE/db
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 18:21:11 -0500

>They've mentioned OLE db and SNA server. This is not my "bag" so I'm
>looking for any info I can get.

MS provides a DB2/400 OLE DB data provider with SNA Server (nicknamed
Project Thor). It's basically a couple of DLLs that provides pretty
effective record-level access to DB2/400 from VB (it's pretty easy to blow
the definition out of proportion, so I've taken a few liberties there,
assuming you want the 30 second answer).

IBM also provides a DB2/400 OLE DB data provider with the free part of
CA/400 (nicknamed Project Lightning). The downside is that both versions
have crippling dependencies: IBM's requires CA/400's base connection at the
client and MS's requires SNA Server on the NT Server. There are third-party
alternatives that don't have ridiculous dependencies, but their prices and
feature-sets vary. (Damn shame that IBM and MS neither one get how important
it is for this stuff to run with the only dependency being PING!)

If the shop has SNA Server, MS's solution will do what they say. Check out
www.microsoft.com/data for more on OLE DB (and the longer than 30-second
definition). Also check out the Project Lightning Redbook at
www.redbooks.ibm.com (it's not at the www.as400bks.... site). Search for OLE
DB in the title. Although that Redbook doesn't apply across the board to
Thor, it would be some help.

rp