  • Subject: Re: HERE's a good one - object name problem...
  • From: Bob Larkin <blarkin@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 18:23:26 -0700

Ok folks, here is THE answer.
Assumptions:
1. This is in a user library
2. You have either QSECOFR (Possibly *SECADM and *ALLOBJ would work)
Procedure:
1. DSPOBJD output(*OUTFILE) for the library the object resides in.
2. Look at the output file in *Hex mode.
3. Find the errant object and make sure that the name consists of only numbers.
ie,
    make sure there are no nondisplayable characters.
4. DSPCMD RNMOBJ - Note the program it calls.
5. Call the program above directly. OTTOMH I believe their are thre parms, 20
character
    Name & Library, 10 character object type, 10 character new name.
    If the name contained undisplayable characters, you will need to specify the
name as X'hhhhhhhh',
    where hh is the hex representation from step 2.
Congratulations, you now have an object you can manipulate.

What allows this to work is that the command processor does the validity
checking, and calling the program directly bypass the CPP.

WARNING WARNING - I do not recommend you try using this procedure to create
objects that have invalid names, as UNPREDICTABLE RESULTS MAY/WILL/SHOULD/COULD
OCCUR!

Buck - Ya owe me a beer.
Bob Larkin
blarkin@wt.net

Chuck Lewis wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> JUST noticed this one... we have an object in a user library that shows
> a name of all numbers. It is a date starting with 0 and contains six
> numbers...
>
> It shows as Type *FILE and Attribute PF-SRC.
>
> You cannot bring it up in Display Description, rename it, bring it up in
> PDM, delete it, etc. because it is NOT a valid name...
>
> HOW did it get on the system ???
>
> (and how can I get RID of it... ?)
>
> Thanks !
>
> Chuck
>
> +---
> +---

begin:          vcard
fn:             Bob Larkin
n:              Larkin;Bob
org:            <A HREF="HTTP://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">Larkin Computer Consulting</A>
adr:            <A HREF="http://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">Bob and Diana's Page</A>;;;Houston;TX;<A HREF="http://web.wt.net/~blarkin/">;United States
email;internet: blarkin@wt.net
title:          Systems Consultant
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;4104