  • Subject: Re: EDI for AS/400
  • From: Patrick Townsend <townsend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:26:04 -0700

I agree about Harbinger/Premenos. I think they have the most mature
product in the market and very good support. I've heard good things
about Extol but have not used it myself. I've used Sterling's GenTrans
and found it to be very reliable. But I think it is a little behind the
Premenos product in terms of user interface and functionality. But it
works well.

Both Premenos and Sterlings products are batch oriented. You get a batch
of data and send one back. If you have any need for "real-time" EDI
these products will not work well. I know one company that is running
Extol along side Premenos just to provide better turnaround in this
situation. But Extol apparently requires more technical mining to
understand how to use and control it.

All three products seem to have good reliability.

My 2 cents....
Patrick

--

IBM AS/400 communications, FTP automation, and network security
software and consulting services.

mailto:townsend@patownsend.com
http://www.patownsend.com