  • Subject: Re: EDI for AS/400
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 14:59:59 -0500

We've been doing EDI for many years.  We started on the 36 and moved to the
400.  One of the friendliest and easiest to use packages.  It started out as
ACS Network Systems.  Then it became Premenos when ACS spun off it's EDI
business.  Now Premenos was bought by Harbinger.  Check out www.harbinger.com.
They have green screen interface that is really productive, but if you have a
lot of time on your hands they also have a GUI interface.  I think that
Harbinger is partnered with JD Edwards and/or SSA.

We are using a VAN.  The van is GEIS.  I like the VAN because it settles
arguments when the customer claims, 'but I gave it to you'.  You simply use the
Premenos software to download a report from GEIS and it says nope.  They you
show the customer how to do it and they work harder.  Resolves partner
conflicts.  Downside of Van's is their cost.  Doesn't take long to rack up a
bill.

We have some customers that we set up a FTP site on one of our 400's.  Now some
on the list will scream 'What, EDI over the Internet!?!  But it is not
encrypted!!!!'   But, hey, neither are the Van's.  EDI is pretty boring for
most hackers.  It is not like we are doing EFT.  The Premenos people have a
special Internet EDI package with encryption and gunk built into it called
Templar.  I haven't looked into that.

We've built our own interfaces into BPCS.  SSA had spent a lot of time years
ago designing their own EDI package instead of working on interfaces.  I think
they are beginning to see the light about designing everything themselves.  I
think they've abandoned their own EDI package.  I think they might have
purchased Harbinger.  Which explains why the Y2k version should be the last
green screen version and to hell with the screams of the users at the user
conference.

jlcrosby@fwi.com on 08/27/98 02:26:28 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet