  • Subject: Re: Suggestion to avoid repetitious answers. -Reply
  • From: David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:34:20 -0500 (CDT)

Folks:

There's nothing that can be done regarding vacation autoresponders on
this end of the pipe.

Those messages are generated by the MAIL SYSTEM of the person who is
(hopefully) enjoying some (hopefully) well deserved time off.

Some mail systems are not smart enough to know that certian messages
are not supposed to be autoresponded to.  You'll noticed that, in ever
list message, there is a header directeive called "Precidense" (sp?) that
has a value of "Bulk".  This should tell the mail system not to bounce
soft errors.  In addition, the mail systems should be bouncing messages
back to the SENDER not the author of the message (sender being me,
author being YOU).

Sorry, IBM'ers... but Notes & cc:Mail are some of the worst offenders when
it comes to not knowing when it should keep quite :)  If you have any
pull with the Lotus developers ... tell 'em to put in a better internet
email engine (Notes & cc:Mail use a similar system).

david