  • Subject: Re: SQL 'distinct' keyword
  • From: Bill Robins <brobins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:07:14 +0100

Mary,

I had never really considered what the distinct option did, but I guess you
could
consider it a group by select without any summary options.  So, if you look at
it in
that context I think you are going to have problems.  I am not quite sure what
it it
you are trying to accomplish, but let me take a stab at it, it sounds like you
want
to list all of the original relevant data but list the highest value of the date
value.  To do what I think you want to do, you will either need to create a
summarized copy of your file, or a view.

Create View mylib/filex as Select keyflda, keyfldb, max(datefld) as maxdate From
filea Group by keyflda, keyfldb

Select fa.keyflda, fa.keyfldb, dataflda, datafldb, maxdate From filea fa join
filex
fx on fa.keyflda=fx.keyflda and fa.keyfldb=fx.keyfldb

If this isn't what you want, we can try again.

Bill