  • Subject: Re: looking for a little help
  • From: Chad Walsingham <walsice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:19:21 -0500

       I really appreciate you getting back to me so soon.  In regards to your
BTW
message. I'm hoping to be able to utilize the library capabilities, though I'm
still
having problems. When you say it's too much of a pain, do you mean it's to much
of a
pain to get it to work or to much up keep to keep it working. As of now I'm
still
dead in the water as far as tape drives go. You wouldn't happen to have any
other
ideas? Thanks
                                                                        Chad
Walsingham

gmurphy@uif.uiuc.edu wrote:

>         The 3570 tape drive can be configured as a tape drive or tape
>      librarie but not both.  You have to manually choose one or the other
>      at the tape drive console.  It sounds from your problem description
>      that it's configured as a tape drive.  Execute a WRKCFGSTS *DEV TAP*
>      and see if you have a tape drive defined for the 3570.  If you have
>      one then vary off the media library device and vary on the tape drive
>      and you should be able to initialize your tapes.
>
>         BTW, I've given up on trying to use our 3570 as a media library.
>      Too much of a pain.  How are you planing to use yours?
>
>      Guy Murphy    FACTS system - UDIS Dept.
>      phone         217-333-8670
>      e-mail        murphyfa@uiuc.edu

>_________________________________
> Subject: looking for a little help
> Author:  <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com > at INTERNET
> Date:    8/17/98 2:43 PM
>
> I have a question if anyone can help me,
>

>     We have currently purchased an new AS/400 and with the purchase we
> also ordered an Magstar 3570 Tape Unit, Model B12. My problem is this.
> In trying to initialize a tape I have done everything in and by the book
> yet every time I get an "no device available". Although I have checked
> the media library and physical unit devices and they are both available.
> I have run several backups on the machine and have just had to input a
> tape as it prompted me to. And as you know it will tell you that the
> tape is not initialized and it will do so as you tell it to. I guess my
> main problem is I would really like to initialize all of these tapes and
> begin using the tape drives library capabilities. I'm also concerned
> that I have heard a lot of negative feedback on these tape drives and am
> beginning to think that I may need to order a PTF to correct the
> problem. I anyone has any help for me please let me know.
>

> Chad Walsingham
>
> +---
> +---

begin:          vcard
fn:             Chad Walsingham
n:              Walsingham;Chad
org:            BayNet Information Services
email;internet: walsice@mail.bay.k12.fl.us
title:          Mainframe Operations
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE