At 06:43 PM 8/12/98 -0500, you wrote:

I don't possibly see how these products could work reliably.  Dates come
from many different places to your application, and it's impossible (in my
opinion) to get them all.  Clearly, the RTVSYSVAL command can't be faked
out, I've tried before for other system values.  (Only IBM has the ability
to have commands with RTNVALs that are retrieved in different lengths.)

I downloaded the TVS Murthy demo, and it blew it.  I message for support,
and was informed that none was available.

Al

>No direct experience, but a few suggestions.
>
>As an alternate to changing the system date (or maybe a first step
>before a full scale test) you may want to check out one of the date
>simulators available that can return a different system date to your
>jobs.  There is one called Simdate you can buy (it was mentioned on this
>list previously, but I've lost the contact information), and there was
>one offered for free on this list recently (again, don't have the
>original message, but the person offering the free DATEVM date
>simulation code was TVS Murthy at tvsm@netdoor.com ).
>
>If (when) you go the full blown 'change the real system date' test I
>would strongly advise TWO system backups (you never know when the
>dreaded 'Media Error on device TAPxx' message will appear during a
>restore).
>You could save yourself some time here by doing SAVSTG and then the
>RSTSTG.  Should be MUCH quicker than a normal save of the entire system
>followed by a complete scratch reload.  Of course, you won't be able to
>restore individual files from the backup.
>

>Neil Palmer                                AS/400~~~~~
>NxTrend Technology - Canada   ____________          ___  ~
>Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
>Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |__________|_|______|_|______)
>Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238    oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
>mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com    AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server
>http://www.NxTrend.com

| Please do not send private mail to this address. |
| Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400 > 390