  • Subject: RE: Moving An AS/400
  • From: "Ashok Dave" <ashdave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 05:54:18 PDT

Try and get IBM to do the disconnecting and connecting. You may also
want to check to see if moving it yourself voids any warranty
considerations. All in all, however, the physical move, if handled
gently, won't hurt the AS400. Ir is a very sturdy machine. I digress
here a little, but here is a snippet of my previous experience with this
wonderful computing machine:
Many years ago, I worked for a multi-national pharmaceutical giant in
Worthing, UK. Our AS400 was located in a glass-walled room that
sometimes got very hot. After one hot summer weekend, we returned to
work on Monday and found the air-conditioning and ventilation system had
malfunctioned and the room was 2 inches deep in water. The AS400 was
covered with condensation and had water dripping off it. We were certain
water had entered into the system unit through the vents and checked the
system for activity. Everything looked normal. Signed on at the console
(in the same state, in the same room) and everything appeared to be
working fine !
Did a controlled pwrdwnsys, wiped the system down, pumped the water out
of the room, powered on and the system continued running as normal!
And this was in 1989 - one of the earlier model AS400s !
Ash.