  • Subject: RE: Another Telnet Problem (and Solution)
  • From: Neil Palmer <npalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:36:04 -0500

Sounds like another poor translation.  The V4R2 English Help Text is
fairly clear on a value of 0 and states:

A value of 0 means that there is no time-out.

                 Inactivity timeout (INACTTIMO) - Help

Specifies the number of seconds the system allows a TELNET connection to

remain inactive before it is ended.  When a TELNET connection is

inactive longer than the specified length of time, it is ended.

    Note:  The system may wait an additional 1 to 120 seconds to end the

    inactive connection.

The possible values are:

*SAME

    The time-out value does not change if it was previously set.

    Otherwise, 0 seconds is used.

*DFT

    The time-out value is set to the default of 0 seconds.

inactive-timeout
    Specify an inactive time-out period in seconds.  Valid values range
    from 0 through 2147483647 ((2**31)-1) seconds.  A value of 0 means
    that there is no time-out.

The INACTTIMO parameter does not override the connection timer.  For
example, assume the connection timer (specified on the INZWAIT parameter
of the STRTCPTELN command) is set to 120 seconds, and the INACTTIMO
parameter is set to 15 seconds.  If the connection timer goes off when
the inactivity timer is at 14 seconds, the connection timer would be
reset for another 120 seconds.  Even though the inactivity timer would
go off a second later, the connection would not be ended until the
connection timer ends (119 seconds later).

Neil Palmer                                AS/400~~~~~
NxTrend Technology - Canada   ____________          ___  ~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |__________|_|______|_|______)
Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238    oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com    AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server
http://www.NxTrend.com