Gary,
 Access does not give a length to numeric fields except as defined in the
field types:
If the DataType property is set to Number, the FieldSize property
settings and their values are related in the following way.

Setting  Description    Decimal precision Storage size

Byte Stores numbers from 0 to 255 (no fractions).  None  1 byte

Integer Stores numbers from -32,768 to 32,767 (no fractions). None  2
bytes

Long Integer (Default) Stores numbers from -2,147,483,648 to
2,147,483,647 (no fractions).       None  4 bytes

Single Stores numbers from -3.402823E38 to -1.401298E-45 for negative
values and from
1.401298E-45 to 3.402823E38 for positive values.  7  4 bytes

Double Stores numbers from -1.79769313486231E308 to
 -4.94065645841247E-324 for negative values and from 1.79769313486231E308
to 4.94065645841247E-324 for positive values.        15  8 bytes

Bill Megenity  bmegenity@ruskin.com  (day)  twinstar@sound.net (pm)