  • Subject: Re: Retrieving member names
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 15:00:49 -0600

Loyd,

I would probably use chkobj to support everything but *last.   If *last is
going to be used frequently, you could list the member to a user space using
the list members API QUSLMBR.  That API is fairly strait forward and you will
probably find it useful in other situations.  With RPGIV and pointers it would
be very fast.  You could use the MBRD0100 format which only returns the member
names.  The number of elements could be used from the heading area of the user
space to calculate the location of the last member directly.  If you decide to
support other formats, be aware that the MBRD0300 format is a little different
than the most of the other list API's because you can't calculate the offset to
the member information directly from the heading information.

One advantage of creating a wrapper around this API is that you can use it as a
base for any of the other list APIs.

David Morris

>>> "Goodbar, Loyd (AFS-Water Valley)" <LGoodbar@afs.bwauto.com> 08/04 8:28 AM

In CL, how do I retrieve a list of database member names? I'm creating a
command that uses members, and I'm trying to determine whether the
member exists. The hitch is I'm allowing *FIRST or *LAST for the member
name, but CHKOBJ doesn't allow *LAST as a member parameter. So, do I use
CHKOBJ or is there another way?

Thanks,

--
Loyd Goodbar