  • Subject: Re: Connect via PC
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 19:51:57 -0700

boothm@ibm.net wrote:

> I ask this because I am curious.
>
> If someone does reach an AS/400 sign-in screen, can they get in if the
> instructions from IBM have been followed about service passwords, etc.?

Depends.  If they're connected via TCP/IP, (and no password sniffing is
assumed),
then I think not.  If they're connected via SNA using Client Access, Rumba,
Rally!, etc, then definetly yes.  A signon screen presented during an SNA
connection implies that the router is connected and active.  Many things can be
done to an AS/400 over an active SNA router (ODBC updates, file transfer, Remote
Command, etc.) without ever signing on to the 5250 green screen.

Everyone who has SNA PC connections active on their AS/400 should view them as
posing the same security risk as signed on  but anattended 5250 terminal.

jte

--
John Earl
PowerTech Toolworks

Riley Nichole Earl, Born 7/6/98 - 8lb 11oz.  Already an AS/400 fan!