  • Subject: Re: FTP Save files
  • From: John Martz <jmartz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 17:53:45 -0400

>> When I FTP a *SAVF between AS/400's, when the file gets to the
>> remote system, it is converted into a regular PF. Is this a
>> FTP restriction of am I doing soemthing wrong?

If the file does not already exist on the remote system then the FTP server
will create the file prior to transfering the data. When using the default file
identifiers for FTP, there is no way to specify that you want a *SAVF created
so the FTP server on the remote system will create PF instead.

One way to work around this is to simply create the *SAVF file on the remote
system before doing the PUT to send the data to it. For example, do something
like the sequence below.

 QUOTE RCMD CRTSAVF MYLIB/RMTSAVF
 CD MYLIB
 BIN
 PUT LCLSAVF.X RMTSAVF.X

(It also possible to use an alternate way to specify file names to FTP that
specifies the type of the destination file. I never remember how to do this
2'nd method. But you could look it up in the TCP/IP Config & Ref pub chapter on
FTP)

Note: If the file has already been created as a PF and you want to delete it,
the following AS/400 FTP command should do it:
 QUOTE RCMD DLTF MYLIB/FILE2KILL

-john martz
IBM AS/400 TCP/IP PPP development (and stuff)
Internet e-mail:                     jmartz@us.ibm.com