  • Subject: Re: Ideas on cutting run time
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 13:46:23 -0600

Mark,

That seems like a really long time.   I doubt a code change would make any
difference, the program is waiting on I/O.  If you could remove the
update/delete you would probably see a big improvement because logical blocking
would be possible.  Other than that I would say look at restructuring your
applications.  Could a flag be used to indicate a saved record?  Then you could
cut out the write and implied rgzpfm.  You would need a logical that selected
active records as input to this process.  That would spread some of the 70
minutes out over the day.  If the keys represent the majority of data you could
also experiment with a logical that was keyed by all of the required fields.  I
don't know if that would make a difference in RPG, but it can help in SQL when
the selected fields are all contained in the index.

David Morris

>>> "Allen, Mark" <ALLENMA1@Mattel.com> 07/24 7:59 AM >>>
We have a program that runs each night that is the majority of our
nightly processing time.  This job ran for about an 70 minutes last
night.  There are no users or other batch jobs on the system while this
job is running.

Any ideas on making this run faster:  Last night MU7TRANS had 410,663
records for that 70 minute run.  The L1 fields are the key to the file
and the select criteria is used so only records we want are in the file
(all need processed).

     FMU7TRANSUP  E           K        DISK                      A
     FMUTTRNSVO   E                    DISK                      A

... stuff cut out.

Mark Allen
MIS Manager
Mattel-Murray