At 16:20 07/23/98 -0400, Venu Yamajala wrote:
> I want to know how to implement multi-threaded jobs on AS400. My requirement
>is as follows :
>
>I have a CL program(CL1). It reads records from a physical file PF1. For each
>record of PF1, I submit a batch job with different parameters. Now the driver
>CL (CL1) pgm itself runs in batch. So after submitting CL1 in batch, if I look
>at the JOBQ, it is forking into several batch jobs (number of records in PF1).
>But each of this batch jobs are running sequentially i.e, one after the other.
>I am loosing lot of time here. I want to have a mechanism wherein, the CL1 pgm
>when it is forked to several batch jobs, a specified number of the batch jobs
>run simultaneously (say 10 at a time). This way I can reduce total run-time. If
>there are 100 jobs, I can reduce the total time by more than 75%. I know that
>it is possible but missing lot of points. Can anybody guide me in this? Thanx
>in advance for any help/suggestion.

Venu,

You could probably get what you want by just increasing the activity level
(MAXACT) for the job queue from one to 10. I'm not sure you would get what you
need by doing this however. You will be doing a whole lot of program
initialization and file opening and closing if you have a large number of such
jobs. I obviously don't know the situation, but I would be inclined to think
that perhaps 10 servers (if that's the number) attached via data queues might
be more efficient. The CL program could send requests round robin fashion to
keep all of them busy, with a command to end when all are done. In any case,
make sure you have enough memory in the pool to keep it from thrashing, and
make sure the MAXACT setting for the pool is high enough so that they don't
page out because they are ineligible.

hth
Pete

Pete Hall