Usually it's the the AS400 that dictates how you connect because it's based
on what resources are available already or what might be procured and, if
so, at what cost.

The cheapest is to use the existing ECS SDLC remote communications facility
on the AS400 since all AS/400's already have this resource and therefore
there is nothing to buy on that side.

In this situation, on the PC side, you need a Hayes Optima modem with the
Autosync option (or equivalent) and a client emulation software like
Synapse WinAPPC (my favorite) that supports the Autosync option.  The
client buys nothing and you have to buy the modem at < $300. and WinAPPC
(or equivalent although it has no peer IMHO) at $199.

If that doesn't do it then you have to go after other possibilities.  First
off though, what does the AS400 have already (ASCII workstation controller,
protocol converter, etc.) because that determines your direction.  If
nothing, then what are they willing to purchase?

I have had great success with the Synapse RemoteAPPC solution which is a PC
attached to the AS400 any physical way with 1 to 16 modems attached for
secure dialup into the AS400.  You get display, printer, and/or file
transfer.  Prices range from $895. if you already have the modem equipped
PC connected to the AS400 on up depending on what you need.

Regards,

Jerry

At 02:54 PM 7/23/98 +0100, you wrote:
>I am sure everyone has their favorite ways of connecting to a remote AS/400
>from an office or SOHO.   My question is...
>
>What is the fastest way to get a connection up and running with the least
>amount of effort and $$$ on the part of the client with the AS/400.  My PC
>is already setup and ready to roll to connect.  But the client is hesitant
>because they don't know how to setup their side of the connection.  I will
>probably set it up myself, or at least help them somewhat.
>
>Suggestions?

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, Nlynx, MI, DCI, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com