  • Subject: RE: DASD failure
  • From: Lorne Sturgeoff <lgs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:28:38 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From:   Denis Robitaille [SMTP:DRobitaille@Cascades.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, July 22, 1998 9:31 AM
To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

Hello all, i am the one who started this trend. Beleive it or not, we had
another crash last evening! good thig that we have raid 5.

That makes 6 crash in about 6 month. To answer some of the question asked about
our situation, the 3 last crash happened on 2 machines less that 1 year old.
The other 3 on machines less than 3 years old.

If this is considered normal, I will feel oblidge to tell my management that we
may need to reconsider our choices of platform. In fact, hardware wise, my PC
is proving to be more reliable than the AS/400! (i am not talking OS here).

Denis Robitaille
Cascades inc.
Tel: 819-363-5187
DRobitaille@cascades.com

Sounds like you're not having a good time.  We've been considerably more lucky.
 We run have been running AS/400's 24x7 since 1991.  Originally we were running
9336's mirrored.  Had one disk failure but the operator failed to notice for
half the morning since there was no interruption in service.  The CE came in
and replaced the failed component with zero downtime.  We now have 9337's RAID
5.  No failures so far at all.

Lorne Sturgeoff
Allied International Credit Corp.
Phone 905 470 8181  Fax 905 470 8155