There are certain line speed parameters on async line descriptions that
have not worked in the past. 14.4 is one; you may have found another. With
the newer 2609 UA cards you can get speeds in excess of 19.2 though. We
have many customers operating at 33.6 (some thoughputs are in the 40k+
range) and even up to 115k with ISDN modems. For sync configurations the
line speed doesn't (generally) matter because, by most defaults, the
clocking is done by the modem.