     Of course you realize that NOBODY wants to send one of us "youngsters"
     to Common (or any other type of advanced training or educational
     seminars). I've been working in this biz for >13 years now, and have
     NEVER been sent for training/certification/vacation. (Well, I wonce
     was sent to IBM(Midland,TX) for a product announcement. Woo hoo!
     AS400-236.) Everything I've learned has come as a result of LONG,
     PAINFUL sessions with the ol' softcopy CD or industry mags (and of
     course this list). All I can figure is that as long as I try to teach
     myself what I NEED to know, then they (my managers) see NO NEED to
     send me off for training. Why pay for it if I'm willing to try to
     teach myself? I guess I need to start playing dumb when they ask me
     for ideas about problem x.

     Yea, I a little frustrated with this. I KNOW that if I want to
     progress in this biz, I need to try to stay current with
     techniques/technology, but how much is MY responsibility and how much
     my EMPLOYER? Every time I learn something new, I add value to the
     services I can perform for the employer. Shouldn't they reimburse me
     or otherwise compensate me for this. Shouldn't they CREATE
     opportunities for advances education or training?

     Maybe it's just where I've worked, or I've just been unlucky, or
     whatever. Is it just me? I have a lot of passion for learning new
     technology and applying it in a practical fashion. So why do I feel
     like I'm being taken advantage of by me employers? (sigh)

     Well, I just fell of my soapbox. Wonder if I should file workman's
     comp? ;/

     Eric A DeLong
     ericadelong@pmsc.com