  • Subject: Posting News/400 code on a listserver
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:46:43 -0400

Toeard the end of June, a question popped up as to whether we would be
voilating copyright laws is we posted News/400 code.  I asked the question
of News/400 and found out that it is a copyright violation.  The best
thing to do is to post a link to their site rather than post the code.
 For those interested, Dale gave me a link to the Library of Congress and
their copyright page: http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/faq.html  Also,
here's my original question to News/400 and Dale's response:

In answer to your inquiry, posting copyrighted material --
even when the copyright notice is included -- requires explicit
permission of the copyright owner. (The exception is the case of
"fair use," which is limited to small excerpts used for literary
criticism or in news stories.) When we are the owner,
we usually give permission, provided proper attribution is stated.
However, we sometimes hold only a copyright to publish something once in
our magazine and Website, but not to republish (i.e., "first rights").
This means that we cannot always give permission; the person to whom the
rights reverted must give permission. The easiest way to avoid having to
contact us or another copyright owner is simply to publish a pointer to
the code published at news400.com. Please contact me if you would like
further clarification.

Dale Agger
Editorial Director,