  • Subject: Re: SLIP Connection and KFLEX modems
  • From: John Martz <jmartz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 16:55:18 -0400

Trying to diagnose communications problems remotely is not easy because of the
number of variables involved. However, even though I (should) know better I'll
try to help. (The key thing to remember is that this advice is free -- you tend
to get what you pay for. :-)

1) About compression note working:
<sigh> Prior to V4R1,  the port hardware can't be set faster than 19.2. If you
connect with compression it's much more likely that the modem will be unable to
send data to the 400 quickly enough. Commonly the modem will just disconnect if
this happens. Safest thing to do if you can't set the AS/400 line speed higher
than 19.2Kbps is to limit the modem to connect at 19.2 with NO compression.
(Error correction, YES. Compression, NO)

Starting with V4R1 the newer AS/400 hardware supports the higher serial port
speeds. Compression and 56K should NOT be a problem for those AS/400 where the
serial port can be configured for 115Kbps.

2) About those <expletive-omitted>  connection scripts.
Yes, they are a pain. I wish we could just retro-release PPP to all the
releases prior to V4R2. We can't though. If you want to use PPP on an AS/400
then you have to move to V4R2. That's unfortunately the way it worked out.

Your ISP should be able to tell you what sort of 'dialog' it expects when you
connect. But definitely if the ISP is specifying an IP address that is
different from the IP address hardcoded in the connection profile then it's not
likely that the connection will work. You'd need to *DYNAMIC if the address
actually IS dynamic.

If the profile does connect successfully to ISP then you should be able to get
a good idea what is happening by looking at the info in the session dialog
spool file. You can force the saving of this file by doing STRTCPPTP CFGPRF()
OUTPUT(*PRINT)

-john martz
IBM AS/400 TCP/IP PPP development (and stuff)
Internet e-mail:                     jmartz@us.ibm.com