At 08:53 07/11/1998 -0500, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
>What name are you referring to when you say "base the name on the PC host
>name"? And does this apply to APPC only?

I don't have a system configured like this, so I can't look at one to be sure,
but as I recall, it's a setting in the NSRouter configuration. You can hard
code a name, or use the PC's host name as defined in the network attributes.
This will cause an APPC device to be created with that name. The display
devices will have the same name, but with an A or B or C, etc. appended.

>What I'm looking for is the "good old PC Support" behavior that added a
>sequence of 'S1', 'S2', etc., to your PC's host name. I want this along
>with the new named device capability in TCP/IP. It's really irksome to keep
>losing good functionality.

I'm afraid this doesn't exist for TCP/IP connectivity with a named device.

>BTW, this shouldbe supported when selecting the File>Run same option. But
>this does not work—the OIA toggles between 657 and 658 status.

With a telnet device, there is no APPC device. The name you specify is the
actual display. Therefore, if you start a session and then click File | Run
Same, you will be attempting to allocate a device that is already in use. If
you want to see some really interesting behavior, click the auto-reconnect
check box and try this. Depending on the PTF level of your system, you may need
to do an IPL to recover.

>There's a hint of something in the Graphical Access command line options,
>where you can specify a device name and a device name suffix. Can we get
>this stuff all coordinated?

I haven't tried this, but I recall reading somewhere that named devices are not
supported for graphical access. I've played a little with World Vision
(Seagull), and it doesn't. I believe that graphical access is a limited version
of this same product.

Pete Hall
peteh@inwave.com
http://www.inwave.com/~peteh/