C'on yall

Trivia question:   Why was the Sys/32 architecture so
important/instrumental to running the Sys/36 code on the AS/400 ???

This is a neat one.
(BTW I graduated from High school in, dare I say it,  '71)

John Carr
EdgeTech

-------------
Sys/3    June 1969

(Late 69 Dr. Frank S. got a job assignment to design the architecture for
the successor to the Sys/3.   Jan 8 '70 Frank makes presentation to Roch.
to build a machine which would have single level store, High level
machine interface, etc you know the rest <ie 20-30 years before NT>)

Sys/32    Jan   1975
Sys/34   April  1977
Sys/38   Oct.  24 1978  ** Red Letter Day **
Sys/36   May    1983

"Late 1985 small group of developers demonstrated that the software for
the Sys/36 could run on a Sys/38" (never, never the other way around BTW)

After a "Record" 28 month development cycle the AS/400 was announced on
June 21 1988.

Lets see,  NT 5.0 won't be out for another 2 years, and thats just a new
version,  Hmm,  I think Rochester did a more heroic job.

(As per "Inside the AS/400 by Dr. Frank Soltis)