  • Subject: Re: StrSrvJob?
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 22:03:10 -0400

Tim,

  Absolutely one of my favorites!

  You are correct on your statements.  One minor thing: The program can
already be running when you do the STRSRVJOB command.

  My favorite use:  Debugging screen programs.  You start the program on
one session (Multi-session terminal or PC, a Seconday job (ie SysReq 1)
will not work since the job needs to be active) then on another session
you do the STRSRVJOB and STRDBG.  Now even when the program is waiting
for input you can poke around, change things, set new breakpoints etc.

  Of course as you stated you can poke around in another users job even
without their knowledge! (Of course if the program stops at a breakpoint
for quite a while they may get suspicious)  This is a SECURITY RISC
since you could use this to snoop salaries etc if you wanted to.

  Batch jobs can be a bit tricky since they frequently blast along
beyond the point where you wanted to debug before you get there.  For
this I add a DLYJOB, ALCOBJ or SNDUSRMSG to stop the thing so I can get
debug set up.

  ENJOY!

  Larry Bolhuis
  Arbor Solutions, Inc