  • Subject: Re: integrated Lemming NT server
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 22:18:20 -0400

>Rob,
<SNIP>
>I'm an AS/400 bigot, too <g>. But some of these are not quite correct:
>>> The AS/400 is more of an open system than Unix platforms.
>     It's a bit hard to make this case. Many UNIX platforms provide
>     all of the source for their operating system. IBM does not.
<SNIP>
>>> Do these systems  have as many 64bit applications as the AS/400 does?
>      Nope. And none of them provide as clean or as easy of an
>      upgrade path.
>Patrick

Hmm
a. "Many Unix platforms provide all of the source"   Hmm.(which flavor?)

b. "Nope. and None of them provide as clean or as easy of an upgrade path"

Hmm
What do you think the chances are that these two are inter-related?

Question: What would a business (not propeller heads) more likely value,

1.  Very stable API's that are maintained and enhanced by someone else?

2.  The source code of the OS which, people who are "Temporarly"
    your employees(most programmers do not donate their time to maintain
    programs for a free for a previous employer) are free to "Enhance" ?

I guess thats why a program that was last compiled from source back in the
mid 80's on previous/superceded machine(Sys/38) still runs(at 64 bits BTW).

LOVE that stable interface!!! You can keep the source to CPYF and the rest.

Just an observation

Last question,  When(and if) the Merced chip(64bit Intel) comes out,  Do
you think that all the old programs(16 bit, 32 bit) will be able to
run by just doing a Save/Restore?  (And run at pure 64 bits, that is)

I guess the "Migration Plan" is the same one the Lemmings have been using
for years huh?   (I just thought of that, Ha Ha, I think it's funny
I'm gonna have to use that one again somewhere. Ha Ha Ha, It IS funny)

John Carr
EdgeTech
804-739-7689
74711.77@compuserve.com