  • Subject: Re: FYI - Press Inquiry: AS/400 Tenth Anniversary.
  • From: Dave Mahadevan <mahadevan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 18:42:08 -0400

Jai:

Please try not to talk too much about the AS/400.  Every shop will then buy the
AS/400 and this will make the economy go much faster thereby leading to Alan
Greenspan tightening up monetary supply.  You see the d..n AS/400 refuses to
crash like Win/95, NT, or Netware.  It corrects a lot of problems and isolates
the ones it cannot so the system keeps humming allowing the systems personnell
deal with problems at their leisure.  AS/400 was introduced on June 21, 1988 by
IBM to replace their 10 year old S/38 line and providing the S/36 people with a
migration path.  IBM kept constantly tinkering with the AS/400 hardware but they
kept the OS stable enough to run on all AS/400 hardware platforms.  This way
even
the lowliest AS/400 (about $10,000) can run the same program (not even
recompiled) running on the mighty AS/400 ($1M or so).   AS/400 is now got both
CMOS or RISC based hardware processors.  It is also available in different
client/server versions besides the traditional midrange clients.  It can do
internet, web serving, provide firewall, tcp/ip, DNS, e-mail, language from
Java,
C, PL/I, Fortran, COBOL, Basic, RPG, and can incorporate Visual Age products.
The underlying database server DB/400 is very robust and allows for many ODBC
engines to access the data.  Last time somebody told me that 90% of the Fortune
1000 use the AS/400 (I cant authenticate this but you may be able to).

So please, please stop this article writing now and let us keep the secret to
ourself till the next recession hits...

Dave Mahadevan
Exec VP
Stoner & Associates
205 W Fourth St., Suite 225
Cincinnati OH 45202
8 years on AS/400
Model F35 running V3R2 of OS/400
Native applications to support Employee Benefits Administration

--
Thank You.

Regards

Dave Mahadevan.. mailto:mahadevan@fuse.net