  • Subject: RE: CA 32-bit ODBC and Excel
  • From: "Raikov, Leonid" <Raikovl1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:46:15 +0100

Gary,
You will know if you read this. It's really simple. Some of  ODBC
clients determine the name of the remote database by issuing a request
type API to the server. The server responds with the proper name to be
used in all subsequent ODBC requests. I forget the details, but the name
of the database table has several qualifiers, the first of which is the
database name. If you have not named the AS/400 RDBMS (ADDRDBDIRE), the
name returned is *N. PC recognises the name as valid and attempts to use
*N.collection.table (or something of that sort) as the table name.
Naturally, this format does not adhere to SQL standards, and therefore
you get the error message. Once you define the AS/400 database,
everything works fine.

Lo