  • Subject: Re: Win95 Shutdown problem with CA & TCP/IP?
  • From: fcubbage@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:37:50 -0700

Yes, many times, especially on Gateway PCs.
I don't claim to know exactly why this happens, but here are
some of the things that fix it (for a while.)  Of course you need
the lastest version of everything.

1) Take everything out of the STARTUP folder, even CHECK VERSION.
    Reboot (of course, you always reboot), put them back one by one.
    Some of the MS Office things & FINDFAST seem nasty.
    Leave out the ones you can live without.
2) Start in SAFE MODE, then shutdown.  Sometimes this is enough,
    if not see 3).
3) Start in SAFE MODE, open Control Panel/System/Device Manager.
    Expand each item by clicking +.
    Get rid of any red of yellow error marks.
   (you can perform this procedure in NORMAL mode,
    but you are not assured to see all problems)

I've seen this so offen after installing CA that I am convinced that CA
has
some bug that has not been addressed.  I have done at least 20 CA
installations on new Gateway PCs this year.  My guess is that 80 %
exhibit the problem you describe immediately upon CA installation.
One of the three above usually fixes the problem, the others go to users
that don't know how to shutdown the PC.

BTW: I have noticed that there are two flavors of the problem:
1) It hangs and when you hit the power switch, everything is OK
    at next power up.
2) It hangs and at next power up it wants to run SCAN DISK.