  • Subject: RE: InfoWorld's reponse - 64bits
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:24:19 -0400

On Monday, June 22, 1998 10:04 PM, John Carr
[SMTP:74711.77@compuserve.com] wrote:
> RE:   Re: Alpha central to 64-bit plans
> I am sorry if I have encouraged reponses from you to the editors that
may
> have had a negative impact on the PR of the AS/400.   I sincerely
> thought
> (still do) that if the writers were presented with "Facts" about the
> AS/400
> and it's right to be covered within these types of "News" stories  that
> they might begin to take a second look (maybe a first look) at the
> platform.

John,
  Don't be discouraged: it'll take a while for it to sink in to the "news"
writers that the AS/400 is a viable platform for modern development.
 Every time we see another press release touted as a "news" article, we
can politely remind the author of the AS/400.  They'll eventually get the
point.

> Dean,  Thankyou for writing to David this note.   I apologize if these
> volley's have had any negative reflection on this great list(David G.)

Highly unlikely.  This fellow is just looking for an excuse not to take
you seriously.

> I don't know how David P. can discount out of hand our opinions just
> because
> we belong to a list.  95% of the Fortune 100 is still 95% of the fortune
> 100
> The facts that I wrote to him were indisputable.   Quotes from the IS
> management at Nintendo, Gateway, etc.  were true, and were congenial
> in nature.

Perhaps his conscience is troubled by parading a press release as news,
and needs to validate "his" work?

> I personally have not had a single response from David P. or Carolyn
> April
> or any the writers I have wrote to.

Nor have I.

> Does anyone have any Ideas on how or if we should proceed with this type
> of thing?

Stay the course!

> Ya gotta admit one thing,  They know that the AS/400 exists now !
> And that it's users would "Most Likely" recommend the platform.

They do, indeed.  Thank you for motivating me!

Buck Calabro
Commsoft, Albany, NY
mailto:mcalabro@commsoft.net