  • Subject: RE: SQL question
  • From: Walden Leverich <walden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:00:16 -0400

James,

Interesting point. However, the setll would only work if the system
built an index to do the setll on (or already had one, which it didn't).
According to the joblog under debug (and the status messages) the query
simply pounded the entire physical. While I agree that a hash table for
3 values would be quicker than one for 465,000 the query would have ran
MUCH faster if the system had built an index and counted unique values
that way.

-Walden

PS. Only techo-dweebs like you and I would even think to increment the
bit values.