Pete,

I think I mislead people.  :(  Sorry.  To try to set the record straight
here is too much stuff, but rather too much than continue to mislead you
guys.

I did write in the RPG language, which was my point of interest.  The
assumption others are making is that I wrote on an AS/400.  In fact I was
using Visual Age RPG on my PC and wasn't connected at all to the AS/400 at
the time.   Now I realize that I can write any programs I want to, on
either platform, or both platforms in the same program and not need to
deal with file transfers, etc.

For interest, I am pasting the response I have made to others that have
asked:

Visual RPG.    I gotta tell you, it is blowing me away.  This sucker
works.  Its fast, and more importantly, I can figure it out.  My only
programming knowledge is RPG, and I ain't no boy genius as you can tell
from reading my posts.

(there's a free CD-ROM from IBM btw.
The site is:

   http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/varpg/

links to:

   http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/varpg/orderinfo.html

for ordering your copy, including Code/400.)

To answer your exact question though:  Here's the code:
(I've deleted a bunch of lines for clarity.  Set your reader for fixed
format)
<pre>
      *
     FAPFILE    UF A F  217        DISK    USROPN EXTFILE(FILE)
     F                                     RECNO(CUR)
      *
     D FILE            S            128    INZ('APFILE.DAT')
      *
      * Define input fields for local file:
     IAPFILE    NS  01
     I                                  1    5  CUSTNO
     I                                  6   35  CUSTNA
     I                                 36   65  ADDRESS
     I                                 66   95  ADDRESS2
     I                                 96  125  CITY
     I                                126  140  POST
     I                                141  160  CONT
     I                                161  177  PHONE

      *
      *
      * Output specs to add/update records
      *
      *
     OAPFILE    EADD         NEW
     O                       CUSTNO               5
     O                       CUSTNA              35
     O                       ADDRESS             65
     O                       ADDRESS2            95
     O                       CITY               125
     O                       POST               140
     O                       CONT               160
     O                       PHONE              177
      *
     OAPFILE    E            UPDATE
     O                       CUSTNO               5
     O                       CUSTNA              35
     O                       ADDRESS             65
     O                       ADDRESS2            95
     O                       CITY               125
     O                       POST               140
     O                       CONT               160
     O                       PHONE              177
</Pre>