Paul,

> User ASPs are FUN!  (:  Usually, the message you get indicates that the
>  user ASP is overflowing into the System ASP (#1).  Are you sure that -your-
>  libraries are not in the User ASP?

No, I'm not.  As I said, I know _NOTHING_ about user ASP's.

>  When ASP #1 overflows, you get the normal "System storage at critical
>  level.  Tell programmers to clean up their act" messages.
>
>  What usually happens is that you have to (1) reduce the storage space used
>  by the overflowing ASP below the max disk allocated to the ASP.  Then (2)
>  Reset the ASP.  Used to require an IPL, but I believe there is a procedure
>  that doesn't require one.  The reset basically moves any object 'hanging
>  out' of the overflowed ASP back onto the disks of the ASP so it's all
>  self-contained.

Uglyyyyyy!  I can't even get these folks to run a RCLSTG!

>  I don't know how much of a performance hit ASPs cause; until recently our
>  production machine had most of its data in a User ASP, with just the system
>  and office stuff in ASP#.
>
>  No real problems with the ASP as far as using it; you just have to be
>  careful with Restore and Create Lib commands:  there's an ASP parameter to
>  tell the system where to put things.
>
>  There's no way to stop an ASP from overflowing, other than giving it a lot
>  of disk so everything fits.

Ha, ha!  The reason user ASP was implemented was that we've been single-
handedly making IBM's DASD numbers for the last two quarters!  Methinks the
"people downstairs" thought that user ASP would take care of this for them
along the lines of PC disk partitioning.  Seems that's the wrong tack...

Thanks!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

Things you never hear -- Bill Clinton saying "Yeah, I did it.  So what?"