  • Subject: Re: SDLC Help (again)
  • From: pault@xxxxxxxxx (Paul Tykodi)
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:13:06 -0400

Vincent LeVeque wrote to midrange-l:

Against better advice, I've purchased an IBM brand SDLC card (used), to enable
dial-in to a local AS/400 through the ECS port.
The SDLC card came with no documentation or configuration software.  I can't
seem to get Windows NT or CA/400 to "see" it.
Any suggestions?  Besides "buy a Hayes Autosync", which I probably should have
done in the first place.
I understand there might be a diagnostic diskette available for this card.
If so, does anyone know where I can get it?

Dear Vincent,

The setup file you need is named IBMSDLC.INF and is shipped as part of  Client
Access for 95/NT. If you look at the file, you will see that it  offers only
one configuration choice for an SDLC card. The adapter's IRQ  must be 3 and its
I/O address must be 380. The hardware of the IBM card is able to support more
IRQ's and I/O address ranges than the values listed in the Client Access
information file.
Some months ago I had a conflict between a sound card that was hardwired to use
only I/O address 380 and an IBM MPCA adapter. Since the documentation with the
card listed support for alternative I/O addresses, I contacted IBM  to ask
whether the SDLC driver built into Client Access could work with the card set
to a different I/O address than 380.
The response that I received from IBM was that the driver built into Client
Access can only work with the adapter at the settings listed in  the
IBMSDLC.INF file. It is not possible to use the adapter at any other  setting
with the Client Access driver (if you attempt to experiment, you will usually
receive an adapter not found message).
You should use your resource managing tools on your Win NT machine to verify
that the required I/O Address and IRQ are available. You should also verify
that any hardware configuration options that might exist on the card itself (
ie dip switch settings) have been set to request the proper resources.
The IBM web site for Client Access includes a setup document for SDLC
connections that provides step by step instructions on configuring your Netsoft
Router correctly.
Hope this helps,
/Paul
- --
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606
140 Congress St., #2                                Fax: 603-436-6432
Portsmouth, NH  03801-4019