  • Subject: Re: RE: Numeric parameters between RPG progr
  • From: David Morris <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 10:22:06 -0600

>>> Jon Paris <paris@ca.ibm.com> 06/01 7:55 AM >>>
>> That's very true. Parameters are always passed by reference in RPG. This
particular "feature" makes it impossible to define a parameter based on the
database data definition. That defeats any attempt to achieve data
independence. Converting from alpha is no better. You still have hard coded
definitions that may or may not be OK if the database changes. Really
irritating... To borrow a phrase from Tim Allen, c'mon IBM let's walk the walk.

Oohhhhhh - I can't let that one pass for a number of reasons.

 1) It's got _nothing_  to do with RPG.  On the AS/400 _all_ program to program
parameters are passed by reference no matter what the language.  This is a
carry over from the S/38.

 2) The fact that the parameter is passed by reference makes it easier, if
anything to achieve data independence.  What could be better than only passing
the starting address of the parameter?  That way it can be any length any
type.

 3) You can also code explicitly for data type independence by passing a
pointer containing the field's address to the target program.  You've been able
to do this in RPG since pointers were introduced in V3R1.  I think COBOL
allowed this in V2R3 and C has always allowed it.

 4) Please point out to Tim Allen that RPG IV has been "walking the walk" since
V3R2/V3R6.  COBOL and C also allow this - in fact only CL lacks this ability.
Pass by value was introduced to the AS/400 for the first time with the
introduction of ILE in V2R3.

I don't mean to jump all over you, I'm the first to accept (if not join in!)
the criticism when it's justified, but unless I'm missing something, this just
seems to me to be way off base.

Jon Paris - AS/400 AD Market Support - paris@ca.ibm.com
Phone: (416) 448-4019   -   Fax: (416) 448-4414