  • Subject: RE: re VaRPG
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 09:39:32 -0400

On Friday, May 22, 1998 6:30 PM, boothm@ibm.net [SMTP:boothm@ibm.net]
wrote:
> I think I am going to go take a walk.
>
> VaRPG installed like a charm, as did Code.  I read the instructions.  I
> dialed in to my ISP and telnetted to the AS/400 and typed STRCODE just
> like the instructions said.  Then it asked for my IP address.  wtf?  Are
> they telling me that I have to have a fixed IP address to use it?
>  ibm.net
> doesn't offer fixed IP addresses at every-day prices.

Booth,
  I juuuust installed the TCP/IP evaluation version of VARPG and Code/400
here at work.  It installed easily enough; no problems to report.  I *did*
have some hiccups (GPF's, etc.) before I installed Service Pack 3.
 Stability is much improved now.  Here at work, my PC does have a fixed IP
address, but I don't *need* one.  One thing I did right away was to open
all the DDS, CL and RPG source from the /400 and put it in the cache.  Now
I can edit/verify on the PC without doing a STRCODE.

I'll give a report of how I like it when I've spent more time with it...

Buck Calabro
Commsoft, Albany, NY
mailto:mcalabro@commsoft.net