I checked the SALES MANUAL CD, It shows V2R2++ as supporting the 6501. I
then went to IBM's website that has PTF info and the PTF doc listed for
V2R2 was MF98220. Here's a clip

                                              HARDWARE INFORMATION
                                                        Release -- R220
                                                            MF98220

                          HARDWARE INFORMATION
   A S / 4 0 0   P R E V E N T I V E   S E R V I C E   P L A N N I N G
                         I N F O R M A T I O N :
  L I C E N S E D   I N T E R N A L   C O D E   A N D   H A R D W A R E
                 COPYRIGHT IBM CORPORATION 1993, 1998

   *   PROGRAM SERVICES FOR VERSION 2 RELEASE 2.O ENDED 03/31/95   *

I did find a couple of PTF listed for PROBLEMS with 6501 on V2R2 in this
doc. I don't know how functional the 6501 was at 2.2.0 whether it
supported both DASD and/or TAPE and what types of each. AS I TYPE IT
DAWNED ON ME... IBM issued a set of PTF by special feature code FC198x
for this IOP. I remember FC1982, 1984, 1985? and 1986. The show up as
RExxxxxx under 5xxx999 PTFs

Hope this helps