  • Subject: RE: Lag time on Index file add- followup
  • From: Tim Truax <truax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:43:20 -0400

On Wednesday, May 20, 1998 10:18 PM, David Dunfield
[SMTP:ddunfie@net-link.net] wrote:
> Access path immediate means that as records are added, changed or removed
from a
> file, they are immediately reflected in the index. If a file (physical or
logical
> ) is open, the access path for the file is maintained immediate. If you
specify a
> access path of delayed on a logical associated with a physical file, it
will not
> me maintained until that logical file is opened. Depending on the number
of
> changes to a access path, it may be completely rebuilt on open if *DLY is
> specified.

Here's what I read in the Softcopy book that made me wonder about the
records actually being placed into the OPEN file:
1.1.5.8 Current Access Path Maintenance (MAINT) Parameter

The MAINT parameter specifies how access paths are maintained for closed
files.  While a file is open, the system maintains the access paths as
changes are made to the data in the file.  However, because more than one
access path can exist for the same data, changing data in one file might
cause changes to be made in access paths for other files that are not
currently open (in use).  The three ways of maintaining access paths of
closed files are:

   Immediate maintenance of an access path means that the access path is
maintained as changes are made to its associated data,
    regardless if the file is open.  Access paths used by referential
constraints will always be in immediate maintenance.

Tim Truax