  • Subject: Re: It goes from bad to better to worse
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 09:01:17 -0400

Darlenem

DAsmussen wrote:

> As usual, it depends.  How are the disparate sites sharing files?  You can
> send the file from a S/36 site to an AS/400 site and use CPYF to split out the
> records into the multiple physicals (if your multiformat logical with record
> format selector program is named the same as the physical on the /36, legacy
> programs will run against it with no problem).  You can also have the files
> defined via IDDU on the /400, and using the IDDULINK proc against them will
> allow even DSPFFD to work.  What is the cross-platform result that you're
> trying to achieve?

  Dean is right with One Gotcha (That I know of):  IF any of your legacy
programs runnning in S/36 environment access the file by RRN you have a
problem.  The RRN (as previously discussed) is relative to the specific
physical the record is in, not the entire file as it is on the S/36.

  Also if you use a simple S/36 type RPG program (with the record
defined internally) to read the S/36 flat file and write it to the new
MultFormat LF, the Record Format Selector Program will write it to the
correct PF's.

  Also a gotcha on the Format Selector Program.  We always code an
'OTHER' in the case that the incoming record does not match ANY of the
defined 'record types'.  The OTHER issues an Escape message to stop the
process.  Without some type of default record type or error handling, if
the FSP does not return a record name, OS/400 will call the thing over
and over forever in a vain attempt to get one!  This consumes 100%
available processor and freezes the job.  Guess how we found out!

  Larry Bolhuis
  Arbor Solutions, Inc
  lbolhui@ibm.net