  • Subject: RE: what is unclear about 01 02 03 -Reply
  • From: tgrider@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Terry Grider)
  • Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 00:08:45

On Fri, 1 May 1998 16:28:36 -0400 you wrote to me about RE: what is unclear
about

> > <snip>

> > <snip>
> > >Exactly what is an 01, 02, & 03?
>
> For geezers like me who know that an indicator is a BOOL variable
> with a number instead of a name, the lack of clarity comes from not
> knowing what bit of code set each indicator on or off: the example
> was carefully crafted to completely obliterate any means of
> understanding the code (which was the point, IIRC!)
>
> Even the subroutine name is disguised.
>
> People have railed against the use of indicators for *EVER because
> the indicator number does not help understanding the intent of the
> code.  Without researching the rest of the program, we'll never
> understand this line of code.  Us geezers have to learn to write more
ike:

>      C           AMT$      IFGT WARN$
>      C           CUSTCD    ANDLTBESTCD
>      C           REGION    ANDEQMIDWST
>      C                     EXSR WARN
>      C                     ENDIF
>
> which isn't crystal clear without comments, but it's _better_
> I'm personally happy that there are RPGers among us who don't use
> left hand indicators, because it means that they're using more
> meaningful names instead!
> <grin and duck>
>

> Buck Calabro
> Commsoft, Albany, NY
> mailto:mcalabro@commsoft.net

Just a thought Buck,

What if you made the example above even more clearer by coding this way:

IF AMT$ GT WARN$
AND CUSTCD LT BESTCD
AND REGION EQ MIDWST
PERFORM WARN$
END-IF

Guess what?... Congratulations!  Your a COBOL Programmer!
Kinda makes you go hummmm!